When I got my first smartphone (a Blackberry Pearl, which seems so quaint now), I intended to use it mostly for email access to my clients. At that time, there weren’t too many apps to download. Fast forward to today, and I am on my third Droid (the Samsung Galaxy SIII–LOVE it!), which is loaded with apps. Many assist me with productivity. But, I’m a little embarrassed to say, there are probably many more that are pure mind candy. And my attention span for apps doesn’t last much more than a couple of months at most, so my favorites are constantly changing.
These are the ones I’m currently addicted to. By summer, I’m sure this list will change. Especially if you add your favorites in the comments below! (I’m highly susceptible to suggestion.)
- Family Feud and Friends. Ok, this can get frustrating to play, and many of the survey questions are just plain dumb. (“What would make Sandra Bullock say she had a good year?” Really?) But I’m addicted to playing for the social aspect. I love challenging my friends and some of their answers to the Fast Money Round questions are pretty funny. Now, if only the scores translated into real money…
- SongPop. This one is hard to play because it has to be quiet enough for me to hear the music, and in this zoo, that’s hard to manage. I also seem to have some sort of finger spasm that causes me to click the absolute wrong choice even knowing it’s the wrong choice. It’s the time pressure. I’m getting better, though! My go-to categories are 90s Alternative, 80s Rock, and Love Songs. I just hope none of my friends choose Modern Rap or I’ll never win again.
- 4 Pics 1 Word. My stepson turned me on to this one. It’s pure mindlessness, perfect for waiting in lines.
- Words With Friends. This one I have stuck with for over a year, ever since my friend Brooke invited me to play. I sometimes go several days between moves when life gets too busy, but I never abandon it. Many of my friends live all over the world, and this is a fun way we stay connected. I also love to kick my little sister’s butt. We’re very competitive.
- IconPopQuiz. The goal is simple: guess the person, movie, tv show, or fictional character based on an abstract representation. The actual practice is hard. I just wish they’d come out with more levels and categories.