For me, the weeks seem to fly by, and I’m happy to slow down a bit on Saturday and Sunday. I’m fortunate in that I can follow a “traditional” (Monday-Friday) workweek, I guess, and I’ve been trying to slow down and be more present in the moment. Here are just a few things that I enjoy the most about the weekends.
1) A Friday (or Saturday) night movie night. I don’t watch much TV to begin with, but I enjoy a good movie and a bowl of popcorn…and a glass of wine after a particularly long week! Our little one isn’t quite old enough to join us for a late movie, but some day I hope it will be a fun family tradition.
2) On Saturdays I usually get some time to myself when Dad and Junior have their own together time. They do a lot of kids build and grow workshops at Lowes and Home Depot and usually have lunch together or just window shop after that. They often visit Grammi too, for an afternoon of lunch and other fun activities. On Saturdays I can exercise or read or daydream or nap. If only there were more Saturdays in the week!
3) Sundays around here are pretty quiet. The streets actually feel emptier, as people often go to church or other religious service, followed by grocery shopping and cooking for a big Sunday meal, or just getting ready for a new week. I like the slow pace and use it as an excuse to relax, although I usually try to clean, do laundry, and plan upcoming meals. I like how it seems that people around us prioritize family life and spending time together.
4) I love that second cup of coffee on Sunday afternoons. When I’m trying to catch up on my writing, the little caffeine jolt helps me write better and keeps me awake (unless I want to nap or got to bed early; then it backfires).
5) I’m a nerd and a planner so I like looking at my calendar on Sunday night and planning the week ahead. I hunt around for recipes to try and make a tentative dinner plan. Our little one’s still young, so he doesn’t have a full social/activity calendar yet. Other than preschool, we have a pretty flexible schedule during the week.
This weekend’s a little different because Saturday is St. Patrick’s Day but, other than a traditional Irish dinner at the grandparents, we don’t have any big plans.